THE ENCOUNTER

It was on one of my keke napep trips to where I can't really remember. 
Just me and the tricycle driver. I was already beginning to feel weird because we had driven almost half the trip and hadn't gotten any other passenger. I didn't want him thinking I was his bad luck today.
That was when she flagged us down. She asked first to find out if we were going her way and thank goodness we were. 
I can't say your definition of beauty but this lady right here was one.
A fair one at that. 
I adjusted as she climbed into the tricycle. 
"Hey, good morning" She greeted.
You could imagine the joy. This beautiful stranger was trying to form an acquaintance. But I didn't answer her. 
"I'm greeting you oo" She said again.
I was taken aback.
"Oooh, pardon my rudeness dear." I said, smiling. Don't blame me for using the word 'dear' already. I was trying to makeup for my first impression. 
"No problem," She said stretching out her hand for a shake. "My name is Beauty."
This was getting real. A beauty bearing Beauty. 
"Daniel. Daniel is the name." I responded as I shook hands with her.
"Mmmm... Nice meeting you. Mind I call you Dan?" Beauty said.
"That's totally fine." I was giggling like a two-year old. Pet names already.
"So you live in the area?" She asked.
"Yes, yes. I stay on the street opposite the Youth Church." I answered.
"Impossible," She laughed. "I stay there too. Number 12."
"No way. You can't be my neighbour. I live at Number 11." I said as we both laughed.
"How come we don't know each other?" She asked in the midst of our laughter.
"I don't even know. A small world you know." I said.
"Who dey drop here?" The tricycle driver's voice brought us back to reality.
"I think it's my stop." Beauty announced.
"Mm. I guess we'll see at home then." I said.
"You don't need my number?" She asked, as we approached where she was dropping.
What?! Where are all the girls like this? 
"Why not?" I said, handing her my phone to enter her digits. I watched her type the numbers earnestly.
09035....
"Do you want to sleep till 10am?" My father was tapping me to wake up.
I looked around me. I was still inside my room.
This couldn't have been a dream. No.
"I'm off to work. Come and lock the front door." My dad said leaving the room.
I followed immediately after him, waved him goodbye and locked the door.
This dream was one of a kind, but I knew it was too good to be true.
Just so you know, I don't know any Youth Church...

THE END.

Written by,
Uche Uwazurike.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Blog

THE VOICE